Database DeveloperQuickly move Excel data and CSV files into SQL Server tables
What is XLhub?
- It is an add-in that creates a two-way connection between Microsoft Excel and a SQL Server database.
- With XLhub, data in an Excel file can be saved to a SQL Server database. From the database, it can be retrieved into other spreadsheets or reports.
- XLhub is written in C#, and it generates stored procedures for reading and writing to the database. It does not involve macros.
What Problem Does It Solve?
From a Database Developer’s perspective, XLhub solves the following problems :
- Loading data from Excel to SQL server normally involves writing programs or SSIS packages
- It is not easy to edit data in a SQL Server database.
- The business creates “homegrown” applications using Microsoft Excel or Access, resulting in islands of data
- Reporting on data spread across multiple files requires manually copying/pasting data
- It is hard to compare the contents of different files and see what changed.
- Spreadsheets with complex models become brittle due to links and references across sheets
What Can I Do With It?
- Push spreadsheets and CSV files into a SQL Server tables (directly from the Excel ribbon)
- Enable users to retrieve data from a SQL Server database into Excel, and then edit in Excel and save it back to SQL Server
- Secure the data in Excel files by moving it into SQL Server, and then allow only authorized users to retrieve it (XLhub supports both Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication)
- Easily create reports from multiple spreadsheets
- Write reports that read data from SQL Server table after it has been moved there from Excel
- Reduce Excel file clutter. Each snapshot of the data can be saved to the hub instead of “File Save As” with a new file name.
What Kind of Applications Can I create Using Excel?
See our App Store for “ready-to-go” examples. Below are some applications that XLhub was designed for :
- Server Logs – Easily save logging data into a SQL Server table for analysis.
- Time Tracking – Enable your employees to submit their timesheets from Excel. Automatically consolidate the submissions, create invoices, create reports, and flag exceptions.
- Sales Reporting– Track sales reports from multiple regional sales reps. Easily slice and dice the data
- Budgeting – Create a multi-user budgeting application, preserve all versions of budgets requested and approved).
Is It Easy to Implement?
- Yes. In less than 5 minutes, you can map a table in Excel to a SQL Server table, and then write the data from Excel to the SQL Server table!
- Sample application and training videos are available on this site
- Applications built with XLhub can be highly customized with SQL knowledge (stored procedures)
- A 30-day free trial is available.
Where Can I Get More Information?
- See videos, white papers on this website
- See our FAQ
- Best of all, contact us by chat right now.
XLhub and SQL Server Extend the Capabilities of Excel
|With Excel:||With Excel and XLhub:|
|Data is locked inside spreadsheet files||Make data in spreadsheets accessible to other spreadsheets and applications|
|Multi-user sharing often involves time-consuming re-entry and cutting/pasting||Prevent routine cutting and pasting from multiple sources|
|Workbooks can only be edited by one user at a time||Allow simultaneous multi-user access to data|
|Files are duplicated excessively to track versions and to share spreadsheets between multiple users||Eliminate the need to duplicate files|
|Changes to the data are difficult to track||Add a full audit trail to your data|
|No version control||Use versioning to roll back changes to any particular version|
|Security and access control are difficult to provide||Add a security and access layer to Excel|
XLhub Offers Full Integration with SQL Server
XLhub is designed to fully integrate Excel with SQL Server, allowing two-way data transfer. If you depend on Excel and need to save your data to SQL Server, make XLhub your simple solution and extend the capabilities of Excel even further.
Metric-X, LLC Rochester, Michigan 48307