IT ManagerHelp the business secure data in Excel files and automate processes
What is XLhub?
- XLhub extends the capabilities of Microsoft Excel to enable better reporting, collaboration and data security
- It is an add-in that creates a two-way connection between Microsoft Excel and a SQL Server database
- With XLhub, data in spreadsheets can be saved to a central repository (hub). From the hub, the data can be retrieved into other spreadsheets or reports.
I need to help the business secure data in Excel files and automate processes
- Excel in the Enterprise: Coming Soon
- More Coming Soon
What Problems Does It Solve?
From an IT Manager’s perspective, XLhub solves the following problems:
- Files clutter up the network and email system because each snapshot of the data is saved with a different file name (using “File Save As”)
- Confidential data is exposed because permissions are hard to manage with Excel files cluttered about Inboxes, local folders and thumb drives
- The business creates “homegrown” applications using Microsoft Excel or Access, resulting in islands of data
- The business purchases software products that are not compliant with IT standards, and the IT department has to play gatekeeper
- Reporting on data spread across multiple files requires manually copying/pasting data
- It is hard to compare the contents of different files and see what changed
- Spreadsheets with complex models become brittle due to links and references across sheets
What Can I Do With It?
- Rapidly provide applications to the business that are based on tools you already have (Microsoft Excel, SQL Server)
- Implement security with Active Directory (XLhub supports both Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication)
- Integrate Excel into your Enterprise Architecture
- Easily create reports from multiple spreadsheets
- Make complex spreadsheet models maintainable and extensible
- Reduce Excel file clutter. Each snapshot of the data can be saved to the hub instead of “File Save As” with a new file name.
What Kind of Applications Can I create Using Excel?
Do you have situations where several co-workers modify data in Excel, and then reports have to be created with the combined data? See our App Store for “ready-to-go” examples. Below are some applications that XLhub was designed for:
- Time Tracking – Enable your employees to submit their timesheets from Excel. Automatically consolidate the submissions, create invoices, create reports, and flag exceptions
- Sales Reporting – Track sales reports from multiple regional sales reps. Easily slice and dice the data
- Budgeting – Create a multi-user budgeting application, preserve all versions of budgets requested and approved)
Is It Easy to Implement?
- Yes. Benefits can be realized within hours.
- Sample application and training videos are available on this site
- No programming skills are required to be up and running
- Applications built with XLhub can be highly customized with SQL knowledge (stored procedures)
Where Can I Get More Information?
- See videos, white papers on this website
- See our FAQ
- Best of all, contact us by chat right now.
XLhub and SQL Server Extend the Capabilities of Excel
|With Excel:||With Excel and XLhub:|
|Data is locked inside spreadsheet files||Make data in spreadsheets accessible to other spreadsheets and applications|
|Multi-user sharing often involves time-consuming re-entry and cutting/pasting||Prevent routine cutting and pasting from multiple sources|
|Workbooks can only be edited by one user at a time||Allow simultaneous multi-user access to data|
|Files are duplicated excessively to track versions and to share spreadsheets between multiple users||Eliminate the need to duplicate files|
|Changes to the data are difficult to track||Add a full audit trail to your data|
|No version control||Use versioning to roll back changes to any particular version|
|Security and access control are difficult to provide||Add a security and access layer to Excel|
XLhub Offers Full Integration with SQL Server
XLhub is designed to fully integrate Excel with SQL Server, allowing two-way data transfer. If you depend on Excel and need to save your data to SQL Server, make XLhub your simple solution and extend the capabilities of Excel even further.